Thursday, December 30, 2010

And so it begins....

I have been going back and forth on the idea of opening up my own little shop for the things I make and finally decided to take that leap! That's right, I'm now the proud operator of Twice As Nice Boutique. I've always enjoyed being crafty and since having kids that has only increased. I have made my son blankets, sheets for his bed a few outfits for holidays and now that I have girls I have branched out to hair bows. I have been enjoying myself making cute little hair accessories for my little girls and am now going to share them with anyone else who likes them! Today I went to Hobby Lobby for the first time and I can tell you it will NOT be the last. I went to JoAnns first because they are local but wasn't happy with much that I saw there and I'm glad I wasn't. My husband looks for any opportunity to take a day or half day trip somewhere so he offered to take me to the new Hobby Lobby in Fredericksburg which is about an hour away. Not only did they have an amazing selection of ribbons (and everything else in the store that I just wanted to buy right up) but they were ALL 50% off! I had a blast picking out ribbons for my new business and couldn't wait to get home to make some into korker ribbon. I saw a tutorial video online about how to make grosgrain ribbon into korker ribbon and the do-it-yourselfer in me just had to try it out. I am really happy with how they turned out and can't wait to make more tomorrow!

Here is how I did it:

*Take 3/8 in grosgrain ribbon and wrap it around a 1/4 in wooden dowel rod using wooden clothes pins at the beginning and end to hold them into place.
- I also used 5/8 in grosgrain ribbon wrapped around a 5/16 in wooden dowel rod.



*You can wrap them as close together or spaced apart as you want. The close together the tighter it will turn out once it's done. (I did mine leaving no gaps all the way down)



*Place them on a foiled covered cookie sheet and bake in oven at 275 degrees for 25 minutes. (You can also place them in an aluminum lasagna style pan) The foil is to protect the ribbon.



*When you take them out let them cool off for a few minutes. It doesn't take long, then unclip the close pins and take them off the dowel rods.

THAT'S IT! Now you have korker ribbon ready for hair bows or any other project you have in mind!




No comments:

Post a Comment